Sunday, May 25, 2003

Happy Memorial Day!
I have my little red poppy, do you have yours?


Dead Bird Alert
My family just found a dead crow in the dog yard. Here in Michigan, we're having a bit of a problem with West Nile Virus, so we put the bird in a plastic bag in the freezer, and my little brother filed a dead bird report with the county on the other Mac. Finding the bird in the yard means that unfortunately for us, we have to wear bug spray whenever we go outside or risk getting a pretty nasty flu, that perhaps could be fatal to immune suppressed people and old people. My parents are old people, but I'm not sure if they're That old. Still, its not a nice thing to think about being in one's back yard.

Mother Superior's Choice: Movies Not To Be Missed

Saturday night I bought the family tickets for X 2, X-Men United. We were in a hurry, Dad ran over a potted plant, and we ate at a Uptown Coney Island . Needless to say, I was not in the best mood when we finally got to the film, but I was very pleasantly surprised to find the show made up for the rest of the evening. Hugh Jackman was lovely as rugged and manly Wolverine. Knowing that he is a happily married nappy-changing kinda guy makes the portrayal somehow sweeter. Unlike Russel Crowe, who's such a jerk, or Colin Farrell, the Hollywood slut of the moment, you can feel comfortable knowing that in between takes Mr. Jackman was playing with his son instead of cursing at the hired help or banging the co-stars. He even does broadway musicals. Okay, maybe I shouldn't have said that.

I won't spoil the plot for you, but I wanted to note that I was surprised by the number of people who had no clue what the final view are foreshadowing. For fans of the comic there were wonderful little visual allusions to the original characters here and there. For the rest of us, there was plenty of gripping action, with very little stomach churning suspence. This was a good thing, I had enough stomach churning at dinner.

On Friday, I saw Down With Love. Its a romantic comedy, emphasis on the comedy. Even my little brother enjoyed it. That's says something about the quality of the comedy. ReneƩ Zellweger's outfits are akin to Jackie O's.. on LSD. Fabulous. Ewan McGregor is as shiny as a newly minted penny, which is preferable to his usual unkempt state off screen. I can't tell you much more, the jokes are sweet one-liners that might not be as tasty if twice-told.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home